The aim of the BRZ is to implement an efficient use of resources and energy (water, paper, hardware) in all areas of the company and thus to become the ‘greenest’ ICT centre in Austria.
In 2010 the company launched ‘green ICT’ guidelines. The guidelines focus on the reduction of energy consumption. The green ICT measures achieved a sustained reduction of energy use by 66%. The demand of electricity was lowered by more than 25% over the past three years, which is equivalent to an annual saving of 950 tons of CO2 emissions or the energy consumption of 2.000 households. Thus, the environmental impacts as well as costs of up to 720.000€ are reduced annually.
The BRZ’s green ICT measures include following implementations:
- Reducing energy consumption through optimising the efficiency of hardware (visualisation) and the building (cooling)
- Sustainable office infrastructure concerning energy and resources
- Transparency through sophisticated energy accounting
- Environmentally friendly procurements and green printing
- Creating awareness and a foundation for sustainable thinking amongst the management, employees and customers
- Developing an environmental management system, including potential improvements based on integral processes and value chains
- Accompanying the company’s internal and external communication
TAKING CARE OF THE ENVIRONMENT PAYS OFF – GREEN ICT HAS PROMOTED VISIBLE RESULTS
The green ICT measures have effectively produced an environmental awareness within the Austrian Federal Computing Centre. Innovation and cost potentials have improved resource efficiency and set an example for the environmental conservation within the Austrian administration. In 2012 the BRZ was awarded the ‚Ökoprofit award‘ from the city of Vienna for its green ICT program and implemented measures.
- Continuation of the green IT measures and environment program
- Evaluating an energy management system that is based on the EU guideline of ‘energy efficiency‘